Cardiff Letting Agents - Do I need a license to be a Landlord in Wales?

Licensing Scheme explained

Landlord Licensing

The Housing (Wales) Act 2014 was passed by the National Assembly of Wales on 8th July 2014 and become law on 17th September 2014.

On 23rd November 2015 the Act introduced a legal requirement for all landlords who self Let and/or Manage property in Wales to apply for a license. This includes HMO licensed properties also.

Landlords have one year to comply with the changes that will be enforced on 23rd November 2016. Licensing is in addition to the legal requirement for landlord registration. Do I need to register as a landlord?

Agency Licensing

Also on 23rd November 2015 the Act introduced a legal requirement for all agents or companies who Let and/or Manage property in Wales on behalf of a landlord to obtain 'Agents Licensing' by 23rd November 2016.

This also applies to an individual person(s), even family members, who Let and/or Manage a property in Wales on behalf of a landlord.

What is a license?

A license is to ensure that a landlord is 'fit and proper' and has under gone adequate training to let and manage rental properties within Wales.

The training that a landlord must do in order to obtain a licence can either be done direct with Rent Smart Wales, or an approved course can be completed by a training provider authorised by Rent Smart Wales.

Once a complete application is submitted to Rent Smart Wales they will assess it to determine if a licence can be granted. They will make sure the application is complete and the correct fee has been paid. They will also determine that the landlord is 'fit and proper' (by ensuring they have no relevant convictions against them) and make sure the training they have completed is suitable for licensing purposes. Once they have assessed the application they will award a licence. Only in exceptional circumstances would a licence be refused.

Once a licence is awarded the landlord will receive notification of their unique licence number and the conditions attached to their licence. The landlord will also receive a licence card in the post.

Publised on
Taken from the official website on 10/12/2015 by B&G

If I use Boulton & Griffiths as my agent, do I need to be licensed?

At Boulton & Griffiths we offer both a Full Management Service & Tenant Find Only Service

Our Full Management Service covers the 'Letting Activities' & Property 'Property Management Activities' listed above (and more). Using Boulton & Griffiths as your letting & managing agent means you are covered and you do not have to become a licensed landlord.

For more information about our management services click here

Our Tenant Find Only Service covers the 'Letting Activities' listed above* (and more), but does not cover 'Property Management Activities' listed above. This means that you would need to become a licensed landlord.

For a full information about our tenant find only service click here

*additional fee for inventory applies for Tenant Find Only Service, should this be required. Prices vary on property size and shall be disclosed should this service be required

If I Let & Manage my own property, do I need to be licensed?

If you undertake any of the following at a property in Wales for which you are the landlord, then you need a licence:

Landlord Letting Activities:

  • Arranging or conducting viewings with prospective tenants;
  • Gathering evidence for the purpose of establishing the suitability of prospective tenants (for example, by confirming character references, undertaking credit checks or interviewing a prospective tenant);
  • Preparing, or arranging the preparation, of a tenancy agreement;
  • Preparing, or arranging the preparation, of an inventory for the dwelling or schedule of condition for the dwelling.

Landlord Property Management Activities:

  • Collecting rent
  • Being the principal point of contact for the tenant in relation to matters arising under the tenancy
  • Making arrangements with a person to carry out repairs or maintenance
  • Making arrangements with a tenant or occupier of the dwelling to secure access to the dwelling for any purpose
  • Checking the contents or condition of the dwelling, or arranging for them to be checked as part of a current tenancy or for one which has ended
  • Serving notice to terminate a tenancy

Published on
_Taken from the official website on 10/12/2015 by B&G

Accreditations & Partners